Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Carrot Cake Recipe


During my ten wonderful years in Japan, I had the chance to live in a small village near Kyoto.  My Japanese language skills always stayed limited.  However, my love for baking and friends transcended all boundaries. I was one of seven members of a group that met weekly to cook and bake.  It was my go to place after a full week of working at a consulting firm. Oh yes! we were a diverse group of women - grand moms, stay home moms and working women.

Here is one of my all-time favorite cake recipes -carrot cake taught by one of the Oba-san in the our lovely group.  The cake is light, moist and stays fresh for a long time, especially if stored in an airtight container.


Ingredients
  1. 6.5 ounces flour 
  2. 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  3. 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  4. 1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
  5. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  6. 4.9 ounces brown sugar
  7. 4.9 ounces carrot
  8. 2 large eggs
  9. 1/2 cup (100 cc) vegetable oil


Directions
  1. Beat 2 eggs and then add 1/2 cup oil. Beat again.
  2. Add sugar and beat.
  3. Set the oven at 320 degree  Fahrenheit
  4. Mix the grated carrots to the batter
  5. Then mix the flour (add gradually) by cutting and not stirring
  6. Mix well and then put in the baking dish

Before baking gently tap the dish 2-3 times on a soft towel to remove any air bubbles. Bake at 320 degrees for 35-40 min.

Baking is even more fun with my new monogram apron! 
Baking is fun with this handcrafted monogrammed apron
Baking is fun with this handcrafted monogrammed apron





No comments:

Post a Comment